What the… Target’s new Denim Commercial

by Jaime on August 1, 2011

One thing about writing a denim blog when denim is super hot? I get to write about stuff like this! Mr. Music Teacher (who is the singer in this Target denim commercial, by the way?) is the perfect awkward dude.

For those of you who are better than I am about fast forwarding through your DVR commercials, enjoy this little gem.

I have no words, kids. No. Words.

Paula August 3, 2011 at 6:15 am

funny! At least it gets your attention

CLS August 3, 2011 at 7:50 pm

The actor’s name is Ben Falcone. He is married to the actress who plays Molly on Mike and Molly.

Justin August 4, 2011 at 2:39 pm

You think this is funny?

*Grins* I work at Target. If you work in the Electronics department, you hear this 7-8 times… each hour…

It’s getting to the point where I just say “DENIM” as I walk by a co-worker, and he/she will respond “Shawn White Hoodies and…” and then we’ll both shout “DENIM!”… and walk away without another word.

It mystifies the guests who see it… I think they think we are speaking in code!

shanti August 16, 2011 at 7:12 pm

lol that is so true a really catchy add and its played to death at target i work there too gotta love it

Bailey;) August 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm

LMFAO i sing this song EVERYDAY ill just start singing it randomly and it gets to the piont where i can sing the whole thing by heart and memory hahahahah i guess your s o l when it comes to being free from this song

Mike King August 4, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I”ve got to admit…this ad does make me smile.. and Target has a knack
for that slightly geeky presentation… I miss that lady in Red during Christmas..

Mike King August 4, 2011 at 6:23 pm

And..BTW..Justin…Sounds like you’ve got something special there at your Target store!

Spizzy August 6, 2011 at 10:47 pm

@ Justin

our team lead just made us go watch that commercial at the electronics counter today because it was stuck in her head and she wanted us to suffer with her. We sat there for about 7 minutes just waiting for it to loop back to it and somehow the waiting and watching TV attracted a lot of attention. It was so ridiculous–afterward all of us were just going DENIM. DENIM…eventually we tried making up our own lyrics..XD

Caryn Cusson August 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I love this guy…Not only is he hysterially funny, but sexy in the kind of way that is going to sell “Target”….He should do more commercials.

Curtis August 10, 2011 at 10:24 am

I also work at target in electronics. Me and the softlines ladies get our jam on when this commercial comes on “Well denim, backpacks, head phones, hair gellls!” This is my current favorite thing in the entire universe =]

Hranica August 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm

To me, it sounds like “More denim, backpack, headphones, hair ge-eh-hell” Hahah
HAHA, the look when he says “tunics” is so priceless. The little head nod is nice, too.
This is the funniest commercial I have seen in a very long time.

Sarah August 22, 2011 at 8:01 pm

My husband and I live in southern Illinois and I always chuckle at the Target denim commercial. He made the comment that the singer looks like a dead ringer for a guy he played soccer with in Carbondale named Ben Falcone. He said he was very theatrical and it wouldn’t be a shock to know it was him. I decided to google the commercial just for fun and I am dying to read that he was right . Small world! Go Ben! If you read this, Barnstable says hi!

Jaime August 22, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Ha! Sarah, this is great – thanks so much for sharing!

(I went to college in Chicago – you’re making me miss the city just by being in Illinois.)

CLS August 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Really? Y’all couldn’t figure that out from my post 19 days earlier that told you who it was?

Dan August 26, 2011 at 12:27 am

Yeah great song! but does anyone know the name of the original song??? i’ve been searching everywhere and trying to figure this out…. c’mon target folks help me out!
thanks!

DENIM!!!!!

Ryan August 26, 2011 at 10:58 pm

@Dan. I can’t remember the name of the original song, but I DO remember that the parts where the guy here says “Denim” sounded very much like what they were saying in the original song, which I always thought they were saying “Did ‘Em” in the orginal song. I used to annoy my wife with the song a few years back, now I can’t remember the song at all. I remember though that the part he is singing in the commercial was the chorus to the song. I just can’t remember any of the lyrics to the original song at all except the part that sounded like “Did ‘EM”. Sorry. Its killing me too! LOL!!!

tribalstylemedia August 27, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I freakin luv this commercial! I’ve seen him before but can’t remember where. We torture my dad when this comes on! DEN-IM!

CLS August 29, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Bridesmaids and Joey (TV series after Friends).

JOY September 1, 2011 at 6:14 am

@Dan if you find out the name of the song, please let me know. I have told several people that it’s a sample from another song but I can’t think of the name of it.

Fern Richmond-Palmer September 1, 2011 at 10:45 am

Hi Benji,

Fern Richmond-Palmer September 1, 2011 at 10:48 am

Hi Benji,
Does anyone call you that anymore? Do you remember me, preschool days, I was a teacher. YOU were adorable and comedic back then and still are. I’m still in C’dale, and see your parents around town every now and then. They look great by the way. Very proud of what you’ve accomplished. Love watching your wife also, she’s a doll. Yes I too find myself singing the Denim song ! Next time you come home bring the parents and family down to see me at Blue Sky Vineyards, you know we have 13 wineries down here now. It’s owned by the Rochman Family. I believe you & Flynn went to school with some of the Rochman kids(there were 9 of them). Anyhow just wanted to say hi and wish more good luck with your career. Take care,Fern

Toni Watson September 4, 2011 at 9:23 am

PLEASE put this on itunes! :)

Tamiraq July 15, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Cameo – Word Up ,
was driving me crazy too.. until i remembered ;)

Deb August 7, 2012 at 9:13 am

This guy in the Target commercial looks like Melissa McCarthy’s husband, was also the air marshall in Bridesmaids with her.

Jeanette August 13, 2012 at 7:53 am

“Denim” song sounds suspiciously like Billy Ocean’s “Caribbean Queen.”

Jeanette August 13, 2012 at 7:56 am

Word Up” CAMON maybe this one
sorry looked it up again

Ryan April 3, 2014 at 6:30 am

No. It is NOT “Word Up” from Cameo. It’s not “Carribean Queen” either. Ben is singing the song EXACTLY the way the chorus from the original song went, and it doesn’t sound like that in either song.