Paula’s Organization Intervention

by Jaime on May 4, 2010

My closet is a mess.  Well, not just a mess, in truth, it is a disaster.  According to my kids, the solution to my problem is to cease and desist all shopping immediately.  My husband, probably fearing conjugal deprivation, quietly suggests maybe “less” shopping might be in order. My personal opinion is that if hubby would just see fit to vacate the closet we share; all my problems would be solved.

Please note: this is NOT Paula's Closet. She's way more organized than this.

However, in light of the fact that none of these three options is likely to take place anytime soon (although I still foster high hopes for ‘husband vacating the closet’ scenario), the other day I was finally forced to face the reality that somehow, someway, the problem had to be addressed.

But how?

Well, first I had to choose where to start.

I decided to start with the most treasured part of my wardrobe…my denim.  With that decision affirmed, I proceeded to climb over shoes and other various piles of stuff in order to reach my toppling piles of denim (this is the moment when I should have begun to consider the ‘cease and desist all shopping’ scenario, but sadly my only thought was where would I put the PRVCY jeans currently on my wish list).

So, there I was, ready…eager…motivated… and totally stumped.  All of a sudden the various routes to organizing and categorizing my precious collection seemed endless – do I sort by Cuts? Fit? Wash?  Alphabetical by designer? Frequency of wear? Bottom width? Rise? Lengths? Hung or folded?  At that moment, I decided to do what any intelligent wife/mom/daughter would do… ask a friend..  And since my fellow DD readers, writers and proprietor, of course, are some of the most creative and knowledgeable people on the subject of denim (and other things to be sure!) I determined that this was the place to post my cry for help!

So tell me, how do you organize your denim? Share your ideas with me.  And please, be quick about it because my dresses are patiently waiting to be rescued from a blazers burrito – and you know how snippy they can be!!!

Kristy Victoria May 4, 2010 at 11:38 am

I have a closet with wide shelves – the top 3 contain bottles of perfume, the bottom 3 are all of my jeans!

My Chau May 4, 2010 at 11:42 am

I would generally have a pile of my currrent favorites and the rest would be organized by wash (light, medium, dark, black, other).

Karen May 4, 2010 at 11:58 am

Mine (what will fit, anyway) are in my bottom dresser drawer, folded/rolled the way JP showed us in a post ages ago! That way I can easily see the wash and pocket, and they’re arranged by style, then color. I need a new system though, since I have run out of room. :P

Renae May 4, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I have a large walk-in closet. On one side is a long bar and that is where all the dresses and denim (all 50+ pieces of them) are and on another side 2 bars on top of each other, that is where shirts and skirts are. It’s a pretty good system. The denim is even arranged by designer (I know… I might be a bit OCD). Sweaters, camis, tank tops, and shorts are all folded neatly in various dresser drawers. The shoes are lined up on the floor of the closet on a shoe rack and the purses on a shelf on top of the closet. Hope that helps!

Jessica May 4, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I personally hang all of my jeans. I think it’s easier to grab a pair without worrying about a pile toppling, and I can see everything more clearly. In terms of how to organize — I’d probably go with sorting by style: skinny/straight/trouser/wide leg/etc. Good luck!

Paula May 5, 2010 at 6:35 am

Thanks girls for the great tips!

June May 5, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I have one of these on a shelf in my tiny walk-in closet:
I fold my jeans in half, then twice lengthwise. One half of the organizer is for my jeans, the other half is for my boyfriend’s. It’s a little cramped, but they don’t get wrinkled.
I also use under-the-bed drawers from the Container Store to hold pairs I seldom wear:

Sarah Nicholson November 12, 2012 at 2:03 am

Tiny or not, how good would it be to have a walk in closet?? I like to hang my jeans and I like to sort my jeans by color and then style. My whole wardrobe is organised into blocks of color so jeans are ordered the same way in the blue category.