Denim News: Australian Man Not Guilty Of Rape Because Victim was Wearing Skinny Jeans

by Jaime on May 3, 2010

This isn’t a joke, but good god, I wish it was. Rape is never, EVER right. If a person – man or woman – says no, that means NO. And no amount of wearing jeans can change that.

I’m so disgusted by this. It makes me physically ill… which is impressive, because I’m already physically ill. Ugh. Here are some details from the Daily Mail posting:

A man was acquitted of rape today after a jury agreed his victim could not have been sexually assaulted while wearing skinny jeans.

Nicholas Gonzales, 23, told a court in Australia that sex with the 24-year-old woman was consensual, despite her claim he had ripped off her size six skinny jeans before the attack.

The Sydney jury sent a note to the judge during the trial asking for more information about ‘how exactly Nick took off her jeans’.

The note from a jury member added: ‘I doubt those kind of jeans can be removed without any sort of collaboration.’

This is so despicable it makes my head spin. This is only mildly related to jeans, but I can’t possibly fathom how that kind of argument even came into play much less got him acquitted.

And, as someone who CAN take off my skinny jeans (well, some pairs) without even UNBUTTONING them, this disgusts me even more, knowing that I can prove the distinct inaccuracies in their overwhelmingly flawed logic. People need to get their heads checked if they truly believe this tripe.

If you’ve been raped or assaulted, please remember: it was NOT your fault. As someone who has dealt with sexual abuse in the past, I know exactly where you’re coming from… and you cannot blame yourself. You did NOT wear something that let the guy think you were “asking for it”. You didn’t go out looking to be violated and disrespected. And you don’t need to protect him.

No means NO, and you deserve respect. Please, PLEASE take care of yourself and get help. There are some amazing groups that are out there… you do not need to suffer, and you do not need to have your life taken away from you because some boy (no man would ever rape a woman) couldn’t manage his own issues and “instincts”.

Contact RAINN for more ways that you can get support or offer a hand to help others.

Erin May 3, 2010 at 10:43 am

I heard about this – just sick.

Ellie Di May 3, 2010 at 10:43 am

I heard about this too and was fucking appalled. What the hell?! How can this kind of ludicrous bullshit be happening today? I thought we’d grown out of this ridiculous mindset 20 years ago. (shakes head) Thanks for spreading the news and for linking up to an advocacy place.
.-= Ellie Di´s last blog ..Inspiration Station: Stop 008 =-.

April C May 3, 2010 at 11:12 am

Italy got it right, “jeans cannot be compared to any type of chastity belt.” WTF, Australia, Korea? HOW CAN EDUCATED PEOPLE BE SO IGNORANT

April C May 3, 2010 at 11:27 am

And I can’t believe someone in the Daily Mail comments actually DEFENDED this decision… any man or woman that says s/he could not take a pair of jeans off someone if s/he does not care about that person’s wellbeing is full of BS.

Miss Peregrin May 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm

This makes me so angry! I cannot believe that this argument was even presented, let alone taken seriously. Being Australian myself, this kind of thing really makes me worry for my own safety.
.-= Miss Peregrin´s last blog ..What I Wore Today (Lazy Monday Edition) =-.

Mary-Jo May 3, 2010 at 3:31 pm

OMG! ANY pair of jeans, skinny or otherwise can be removed without cooperation. Especially if the assailant is determined enough! In my opinion, the jury should have requested a pair of the denim the defendant was wearing and tested the theory themselves before just assuming “rape” was not possible. Maybe I just watch too much CSI and Criminal Minds, either way this is very sad.
.-= Mary-Jo´s last blog ..Personalized Ankle Bracelet – Emily =-.

Jennifer B May 3, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Omg! I am so sickened.
This is so messed up. And it just pisses me off.