Would You Wear: The Skinny Cargo?

by Jaime on April 27, 2010

Rich & Skinny's Cargo

We all have our own sense of style… that’s what makes us original. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t love – or criticize – a new trend we see coming out. And when something as big as Skinny Cargo pants come along, I can’t just ignore them.

Starting with the blow-up from J Brand’s Houlihan Skinny Cargo, this new style is the latest-and-greatest celebrity trend. What do I think about it? Hit the jump to find out.

J Brand's Houlihan Twill Cargo Skinny, Available at Shopbop

I love J Brand. They make some of my favorite styles, some extremely versatile washes and they do them well. But, the Skinny Cargo – particularly their style of Skinny Cargo – is just a whole big pile of wrong. Why?

First off, cargo pants are BULKY. And they’re supposed to be. There’s nothing slim, flattering and slender about a pair of cargo pants, and you can’t convince me otherwise.

There’s just too much going on with these pants… my eyes don’t know where to look. Which is more important: the awkward nude color, the really hideous flap pockets that make her thin thighs look larger, the zippers at the ankle? I just can’t pinpoint the logic in these, other than the fact that

a.) Celebrities have been seen in them and

b.) They’re made by J Brand.

Those alone aren’t enough for me to wear a pair of pants. Sorry… I guess I actually do have scruples.

But, here’s the thing: they’ve already totally sold out once on Shopbop. They had to order more! So, someone must be loving this style, and I want to hear from them, because I just can’t wrap my head around this trend.

I know that out there somewhere is a brand who can do something kind of right with this style (I’m not stretching too hard, because this is just a special brand of ugly), but I bet there’s some way to make this work. Maybe removing the pockets, or changing the shade.

But I can promise you that you won’t see me buying these babies any time soon. They’re like harem pants: better left alone.

** For more celebs in the Houlihan Cargo Skinny from J Brand, go to our Celeb Style page! **

Sonya April 27, 2010 at 11:55 am

The first thing I thought of when I saw these is “are they running out of ideas?”

Renae April 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I don’t really like the J Brand cargos, but I do actually like the ones from Rich & Skinny. The J Brand ones are just ugly to me, for some reason, but I know that a whole lot of celebrities seem to like them…

Jen April 27, 2010 at 12:24 pm

The cargo pockets will make your legs look wider. Not very flattering unless you have toothpick legs.
.-= Jen´s last blog ..Deal of the Day =-.

Jessica @ Beautify My Life April 27, 2010 at 12:25 pm

No thank you! I don’t HATE the styling of the R&S pair with boots, but if you’re going skinny, the added bulk of cargo pockets just doesn’t make sense. Honestly, I think cargo pants in general should go away, unless you’re wearing them to work in a job that requires the pockets. Which is what they were originally intended for, anyway.

FaithJ April 27, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I don’t mind them!

BTW, your blog updates are not appearing on my Blogger dashboard. I don’t know if it’s your blog or Blogger. Help~!

Andrea April 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Thank you! What is up with this trend? I wrote about this awhile back on Skinnypurse (http://bit.ly/9kFqku). Not a big fan of the J Brands, though I did see a cute pair of cropped cargos at Anthropologie the other day… I think it’s the bulky pockets that are the most unflattering.
.-= Andrea´s last blog ..Today’s Don’t Miss Designer Sales – 4/27/10 =-.

Miss Peregrin April 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Do not get it. As soon as I hear “cargo pants” I think huge and bulky. Which, is really the point of cargo pants. I don’t think this skinny variety would be flattering on very many people – especially with the dubious placement of those cargo pockets.
.-= Miss Peregrin´s last blog ..Lest We Forget. =-.

Paula April 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm

idk – they are Jbrand so I would probably give them a try! Yeah, I think I would wear them

April C April 27, 2010 at 6:38 pm

On the J brand pair, I don’t like the ankle zips. I think they do look good with high boots though. I would definitely wear these, but again, without the ankle zips.

I do absolutely love that the pockets make your thighs look larger. I LOVE thick legs on both women and men (no, I don’t mean this in a sexual way). I have large, muscular thighs and still wouldn’t mind pockets that made them look larger! LOVEEE the pockets there.

cleverlycharmed April 27, 2010 at 9:04 pm

The J Brand ones look hideous to me. I’ve seen other versions, mostly ones that aren’t so skintight, that are better looking.

Ali April 30, 2010 at 1:21 pm

No… defeats the purpose of the cargo. I know its all about style, but still a cargo pant should have room in the pockets for something…