Trends come and go, but style is forever. Part of style means figuring out what works for you… but it doesn’t hurt to test some things out along the way, right?
One of the hottest looks currently is the denim jacket. Current/Elliott has made one that’s been seen on virtually every big-name starlet, and it seems like there’s no way to wear this wrong. But… there are a couple of recommendations that can be made to make sure that you do the outfit right.
1. Avoid the “Double Denim” trend. I know, I know, this is kind of “hot” right now but it’s still tacky. The only way to wear denim with more denim? If you’re in prison and wearing a denim jumpsuit. I can let some things slide (like a pair of colored denim with a basic indigo jacket), but for the majority of the time, go with something that doesn’t involve jeans or the like.
2. Dress down a girly look. I’ve got a couple of dresses that I positively adore, but they’re hard to wear. Here’s the best example (from Outfit of the Day: August 9, 2009):
The dress, while awesome, is almost a little too dressy for me. Not to say I don’t love it, but still. It becomes a more wearable everyday look with the jacket.
3. Decide if you want oversized or cropped. My most frequently worn jacket (which you can see above) is a vintage Levi’s, where I’ve rolled the sleeves up for the illusion of an overall cropped look. Oversized works if you’re not too petite, as it tends to dwarf you (which, believe me, isn’t a really great look).
4. Try a more feminine cut. Marc by Marc Jacobs’ Resort 2010 runway had one jacket that stood out above them all as one that could be massively versatile. Full sleeves, slightly cropped look… the jacket is hot and it can work for women who don’t like the basic jacket cut.
5. Find your own style. This one’s pretty self-explanatory. Go for trial-and-error, find the best choice for you and stick with it! It doesn’t always happen the first time, so don’t give up.
These are my five best recommendations on how to wear the style. Any you think should be added, let me know in the comments!